Wednesday, June 26, 2013

For the First Time

I got up extra early this morning to beat the heat for my morning run. I had planned on running about 7 or 8 miles which is pretty normal and easy now. Every time I run, I plan ahead how many miles I'm going to do and ever since I started running, I've never ever done less than my planned miles. I've either completed them or done a mile over. This morning, for the first time, I felt completely defeated. My 4 mile run felt like death. My pace was a snails pace and my legs felt like bricks. It was all I could do to watch my mileage turn to 4 so I could stop. I know the humidity is to blame, but I am still beating myself up for not meeting my target of at least 7 miles. I know I have to be careful in the heat and I've read that it takes up to two weeks to acclimate to the summer temps. My plan for next time is to plant a huge water bottle at the park and just stay in the hood so I can stay good and hydrated. I'll go slow and not beat myself up. I guess if this is the first time in six months that I've felt defeated, I should give myself a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment