Monday, May 27, 2013

My boys and 13.1!

We just got in from the beach a few hours ago. Chris and I decided to head down to Oak Island to celebrate our nine year wedding anniversary. I must say, it was one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. Webb did great in the car both ways and we didn't even use the DVD player except for about an hour on the way home. We talked and sang and watched big trucks pass. It was so nice not to have a screaming baby in the car! Our weekend consisted of grilling out, playing on the beach, watching a little t.v., eating lots of Cheese Doodles (Webb, not us), playing at the new park, and napping when we had the chance. Webb loved the beach but kept saying "Mommy, that water's not going to get me!" The ocean wasn't a hit again this year but give the boy a bucket of water, a sandy beach, and his digger, and he's in heaven! Chris and I relaxed and watched Webb play. We went on walks and drew trucks in the sand. We found a sand flea and lots of cool jellyfish. We talked about animals that live in the ocean. We built sandcastles and dug big holes. It was truly an awesome weekend.

I must say that the highlight of my weekend was completing my first half marathon. I decided that I didn't want to wait to 'sign up' for an official race- I wanted my first one to be solo. And it was. I ran on the road that runs parallel to the Intercoastal Waterway on the back side of Oak Island. That was the first leg. The second leg was back down the island Beach Drive, the main drag, of Oak Island. I mapped my run the night before just to make sure I was safe and out of traffic. That morning, it was cool and overcast. It was perfect. I felt great the whole way. I kept having these thoughts that my feet were going to go out on me or that I was going to have to call Chris to come get me. I just kept telling myself that I was ready, that I could do it. At about mile 8.5, I began to cry. I was just sobbing. I think the emotion of what I was doing along with adrenaline just kicked in. Chris and Webb were parked waiting for me with an energy drink. He thought something was wrong but I just yelled "I'm going to make it!" And make it I did. Two hours and thirty minutes later, I had completed my first half marathon. Am I ready for more? Yep. Will I keep training and running, yep. The feeling is like no other and I'll never give it up.



Wait, did I say that running was the highlight of my weekend? No, scratch that. Spending time with these two was the highlight. The run was just an added bonus.




2 comments:

  1. So proud of you. There's something empowering about doing it yourself!! The beach picture is making me excited about July! Don't worry, Ruby will get that Webb in the water!! She's a maniac on the beach. Well, she's a maniac anywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all because of you that I running now! I'm excited too. Our kids will have a ball together!

    ReplyDelete