Sunday, January 27, 2013

Snow Days, Steroids, and Sprints

A random bit of blogging on this fine, fine Sunday evening. Here ya go:

1. Snow Days: Well, when your Little is 100% himself, being stuck inside with him for days isn't so bad. In fact, it's wonderful. He's his cooperative, happy, talkative, precious self. There are regularly scheduled naps so the adults can have a moment and the Little will eat well and be happy. Then there are snow days where your Little has a bad reaction to a steroid and walks around the house like a zombie for 3 hours crying, screaming, and being extremely disagreeable. Want milk? No. Put milk away. WANT YOUR MILK!!! Get milk back out . . . "Put milk away" Put milk back ...  screaming match for more milk. And so the game continued until Chris came home and suggested I call the doctor. Brilliant! Why hadn't I thought of that! Maybe because I was trying everything to comfort our child. I call the doc, she hears him screaming in the background and immediately makes a note in his chart that he can't tolerate the meds. Then mama treks out in the ice and snow to Your Pharmacy for an inhaled version of a steroid which will be less invasive on his little body. I come home to a calm, quiet, happy baby. That lasts about 5 minutes. Then we transition from whiny zombie baby to wired, hyper, silly baby. All over the place, not even talking normally, and wants a bath at 4:00. So to the tub we go. Is it bed time yet? :)

2. Steroids: Try putting your child on one for a day and see how well you function. It'll break you, I promise. Thankfully this inhaled version is working much better and Webb is pretty much back to his old self.

3. Sprints: Never, ever, has sprinting felt so good as it did the morning after the steroid shenanigans. I met my personal trainer :) at the Y and we did quarter mile sprints and I racked up about 6 miles on the treadmill. I was then prepared to head back home to be a sane mother. I'm so thankful for my trainer and friend. That one day you invited me to run has turned into something I don't think I'll ever stop doing. Here's to more sprints, miles of running fun, and watching our Littles play together.


So all in all, it was a crazy weekend. But you know, that's what makes life interesting. It's what strengthens your marriage for the 1,000th time, holds friendships together, and makes you appreciate things so much more. I am thankful for those who surround me, help me, and encourage me. Steroids and all.




This wasn't staged. Really. We were messing in the mirror and Webb starts making goldfish faces. My phone was right there so I took advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment