Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Right Thing

Today when I picked Webb up, he had a toy car that I'd never seen before. Mimi said he told her it was his when they were leaving the YMCA and since he has about 50 million cars, she totally believed him! However, I knew this car was not his. It was Finn McMissile from Cars. He kept saying it was his, but I knew it wasn't. When we got in the car, we had a talk about how that car did not belong to him. I explained that it belonged at the YMCA where all the children could play with it. We drove straight to the Y and we got out to go return the car. He walked in the child care room and walked over to the nice lady and laid the car down in front of her and said "thank you." I asked him what he had done that was wrong and he said "I took the car from da Y." The two of them walked over and put it back in the bin where it belonged. They hugged and he turned and grabbed my hand to walk to the car.

I was proud that he walked in that big room to admit that he'd done something wrong. Even though I made him do it, I didn't do the talking for him. I was proud that he spoke softly and laid the car gently on the table. I was thankful for the sweet girl who was so impressed and grateful that we stopped in to return the toy.

I can only hope that one day, he'll know that you should always do the right thing. Whether it's returning something that wasn't his, sacrificing something for a friend, helping a teacher carry something, or giving someone his cookie at lunch, he should always do the right thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment