Sunday, October 13, 2013

What I've Noticed

A few things have struck me lately that keep reminding me to stop being so selfISH and be more selfLESS. There are many families, some close to me, others not so much, who are hurting or struggling. I keep going back to them over and over and I can't shake how much our world would be a better place if people would give more of themselves and expect less from this life. Yesterday we attended a fall festival for a friend who is struggling with a horrible, rare form of cancer. As I stood and talked with his wife, I noticed Chad, her husband who is battling cancer, sitting behind her with some friends. She moved a little and when I saw him, it nearly took my breath away. He looked so good but looked so sick from the rounds and rounds of chemo. I wanted so badly to give him this huge hug but I couldn't get near enough to him. He was smiling and chatting with me and others around him and he looked so happy and so at peace. As I walked off, a thousand guilty feelings came over me. How in the world can I complain about my life? How can I say my day has been rough? My life is perfect in relation to this sweet family who has struggled for so long to beat cancer. It's like a slap in the face. One that I'm thankful for because it brought me back to reality. My life IS blessed, I AM lucky. I have a beautiful son, a dear, sweet, loving, and patient husband, a job I love, family that supports us, helps us, and encourages us, and good health. Why do so many times, I find myself thinking how rough things are? Because I've had a long day or I'm tired? Dude. Get over yourself. So, so many people STRUGGLE on a daily basis. To feed their children, clothe themselves, pay their bills, or they wrestle with abuse or neglect.

I don't really know where I'm going with this other than to say that I hope I can become a bit more grateful for this life. I should never take for granted the wonderful life I have or think that things could be better. Cause someone else out there would love to be in my boat. As Chris and I have been visiting this new church, things are making more sense to me. This life isn't about me. It's about caring and loving our neighbors and showing them they matter. I am not ashamed to say this, it finally feels right. I'm so over it all. Don't you think this crazy, screwed up world would be better if we started caring about others and stopped worrying about me, me, me? Dang.

No comments:

Post a Comment