Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The story behind Poella Divine

When I was a child, my Great Aunt Rebecca, gave me this oh-so-fabulous nickname because I look so much like the Poe side of my family. Poe is the married name of my great grandmother, Mary Louise Copeland Poe, for whom my daughter (assuming and hoping I have one) will hopefully be named. Yes, the child will have four names, but it's a very dear name to me. So Mary Louise Copeland Poe (we called her Mama Lou) was my great-grandmother and her daughter, my grandmother, was Eloise Copeland Poe (we called her Dutch). I have the same big brown eyes, dark complexion, and build of both my great-grandmother and grandmother so my Aunt Rebecca nicknamed me "Poella Divine." When I think back to these two women for whom I am named, I have wonderful memories of the many visits we took to see them in Chapel Hill. These are my most fond memories of Dutch and Mama Lou:

Breakfast on Mama Lou's best china- Singapore Bird


Playing in Dutch's Estee Lauder makeup sampler

Going to Spanky's on Franklin Street in my rollerskates



The gorgeous eyelet curtains that hung in Mama Lou's bedroom

Cruising Franklin Street after a Tarheel victory while hanging out of the sunroof of my Uncle's Carolina blue peugeot (my mom would have died if she'd have seen us)



The bells on the back of Dutch's door that clanged loudly when we'd arrive and slam the door in excitement of seeing her

Lunch at K&W Cafeteria

Homemade chocolate popsicles

Dutch's kitchen witch (which to this day would still frighten me)

Watching Jeopardy

Mama Lou's ultra suede suits

Classical music

Daddy Bill's gas station on Franklin Street (my great-grandfather used to own a gas station in the heart of downtown Chapel Hill just down from Spankys!)

Shopping at the Purple Puddle


Feeding the birds off of Dutch's balcony

Falling asleep in Dutch's king size bed while she sang us to sleep . . . I can still hear her humming the words to George Gershwin's Summertime

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Oh, Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky


But until that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With your daddy and mammy standing by

Summertime,
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high

Your daddy's rich
And your mamma's good lookin'
So hush little baby
Don't you cry

What I wouldn't give to go back and relive every single one of these moments. As I continue in my blogging adventure, you will hear many more stories about my childhood, my roots, and the way my parents raised me. It is, my friends, just the beginning of the Sweet Life of Poella Divine.











No comments:

Post a Comment