Thursday, February 25, 2010

Giving back

Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,
In all the places you can,
At all the times you
To all the people you can,
As long as ever you can.
- John Wesley


All of my life, I have been taught that it is right and good to give back to your community and fellow man. During my years in Acts Alive, the youth group I attended in high school, I went on many mission trips all over the east coast as well as one to the Puerto Rico. I've seen first hand the impact of sharing God's love for one another through the people I've met and smiles I've witnessed as a family enters their newly remodeled home for the first time. While I'm unable to make trips to foreign countries or remodel houses as an adult with a full-time job, I am proud to say that I do serve my community and I encourage you to do the same. Giving back just a small amount of time can have the biggest impact if your heart is in the right place. I have included links to several organizations for which I volunteer some of my time. Check them out and think about giving some of your time. These experiences continue to humble me, ground me, and bring me a sense of purpose in this crazy crazy world.





 







My dear friend and fellow community activist, Antionette and myself.
She was the first Project Potential scholarship recipient in 1996. She went on to graduate from UNC Chapel Hill.

*Disclaimer- I must admit that while I love CIS and Special Olympics, Project Potential is my favorite. This is my second year as a college coach and I will probably, in the near future, limit my volunteer time to this one organization because of its impact on young people. I don't think there is any better gift than the opportunity to help a young person go to college. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment