Monday, September 16, 2013

Run





I wanted to do a running update for my own benefit. Chris constantly tells me I should journal my runs but my phone keeps my data so I just leave it at that. Sometimes it is good to sit down, uninterrupted and journal so I thought I'd do that tonight.

I've never wanted to be a competitive runner. I've never been worried about times or paces but thanks to the encouraging words of my Chris, I've started to take notice and do a bit more speed work to become some faster. I will never run sub 8 minute miles(right now, at least) but my goal is to finish the OBX half with all sub 10 minute miles. If I can do that, then I will have taken 20 minutes or more off my first 13.1 time that I ran back in May. That would be pretty awesome, I think. I think the competitive spark emerges when I start competing with myself and realizing what a long way I've come since this whole journey began last December. In looking back at my previous 10 mile runs, my average pace has stayed around 10:50. This past Sunday, I completed my 10 mile run with all sub 10's and a 9:08 pace on the last mile. I swear it felt like flying.

The emotions that come with running and getting better are completely overwhelming. Running has brought me to tears more than once- not because of pain but because of perseverance and pushing through the times I wanted to give up, walk, or turn back. Never in a million years did I think my body could endure what it has. I never thought I'd wage a war with myself to see how strong, how fast, or how far I could push. That battle is constantly stirring in me to go faster, be stronger, run longer.

Running rewards me in so many ways and tests me more than I ever imagined. As for the long run, 26.2 sounds mighty fine. Maybe that will be my next quest . . .

1 comment:

  1. Before you know it, you'll be on Allen's team to join the Ultra-Marathon crowd!!

    ReplyDelete