Sunday, September 16, 2012

The River

There's this beautiful place called the New River. It was my second trip there; the first being way before Webb was born. We went tent camping or "roughing it" as I call it. I fell in love with this "A River Runs Through It" type river with it's wide meandering waters and tree lined banks. I had the opportunity to revisit that place again this weekend with a good friend who invited us to stay at her family's place. I saw the river in a new light; still with it's beautiful waters and trees, but now through the eyes of a bright eyed, brown eyed little boy. There wasn't a moment of his waking hours that he wasn't digging in the dirt, playing with bugs, running around nekkid, or catching bugs and walking in the river. I watched Chris show him how to paddle the kayak. I sat by the fire and talked with a friend I've known all my life and reconnected with her as a mom and wife. I drank coffee in the cool mountain morning while the fog lifted from the Earth. I watched Chris paddle away down the river- knowing how much that solitude meant to him. I watched Webb run free and squeal. I saw a million stars in the sky and thought about my place in this wide wide world. I heard old stories about my father from a lifelong friend of his who has a place there too. I spent time with people I love in a place I love. It was a perfect weekend at the River. Just what I needed.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Week Everyone!
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading through this! You've got mad storytelling skills, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsay! I do love to write. I start out and find myself just letting it go. Feels good, ya know? :)

      Delete